Research Permit is granted to person to undertake research for the benefit of local universities/institution or as a part of his/her professional or educational requirement. Authority is under Section 9(2) (e) of the Immigration Act, 2003.
Eligibility for New Applications
1. All documents must be submitted as per Research Permit documentary requirement.
2. Letter of consent and endorsement from the local institutions where the research will be undertaken.
3. Sponsor letter and financial standing for applicant.
4. For research permit undertaken for periods less that twelve (12) months a certified copy of return airline ticket.
5. Any research undertaken for a period more than twelve months will require to pay security bond prior to the issuance of the Permit.
Eligibility for Extension Application
1. All documents must be submitted as per Research permit documentary requirements
2. Sponsor Letter, copy of return ticket and financial statement
The Permanent Secretary may grant a non-citizen a research permit if the Permanent Secretary is satisfied that:
1. Completed and signed application form.
2. Copy of the applicant’s bio-data page of the passport.
3. Two (2) passport-size photos.
4. Request letter.
5. Medical Report conducted within three (03) months or less from the date of application.
6. Police Report for applicants over 18 years old from the country of citizenship/residence.
7. Approval by the institution/organization accepting the internship.
8. Sponsor letter, either locally or overseas, from the person or organization financially sponsoring the internship.
9. Copy of return ticket.
10. Application Fees.
The Immigration Department will consider applications for the extension of permits on merit.
Copy of the applicant’s bio-data page.
Two (2) passport-size photographs.
Applicant’s Request Letter.
Local Police Report (for individuals over 18 years old who have studied for 12 months or more in Fiji).
Acceptance Letter from the Institution/School.
For Sponsored Students:
Tuvalu Gov’t Scholarship Award/Bond (if applicable).
Solomon Gov’t Scholarship Award (if applicable).
Vanuatu Gov’t Scholarship Award (if applicable).
Tokelau Gov’t Scholarship Award (if applicable).
Kiribati Gov’t Scholarship Award (if applicable).
Aus AID Sponsor (if applicable).
NZ AID Sponsor (if applicable).
For Self-Sponsored Students:
Letter from Sponsor.
Copy of Confirmed Return Air Ticket/Bond.
Financial Statement from Sponsor (e.g., Bank Statement/Pay Slip).
Letter of Support from a Local Guardian or Local Sponsor.
Additional Requirement for Some Students:
Fees (for secondary/tertiary school students over 18 years old).
Application fees $664.50
Standard application processing period is 21 working days. However, actual processing times may vary due to individual circumstances including:
We will let you know when the decision is made on your application through email.
For further inquiries, please contact: [email protected]